
Today was a special day . . . you turned two years old! I can't believe how fast the time has gone and I can't believe how much my life has changed in these two years. For so long, I couldn't wait to become a mom, but nothing can prepare you for that moment when it becomes a reality. Every day, I learn more and more what an enormous task being a mom and parent is. At times, it is the best job in the world--when you reach out your arms and ask for a "huggie." Seeing your beautiful smile make my heart skip and hearing your contagious belly giggles makes me laugh right along with you! You are such a sweet little boy--full of independence and spunk. I may be biased, but you are such a smart boy, too. You love books and can "read" some of them to Daddy and me. Among your favorites are Bear Who? (Bear's New Friend--most of which you can recite), My Daddy (your read most of it to us), choo choo book, and puppy book (Buscuit). You constantly amaze me at what you know and can understand. We are able to have some semi-real conversations where you answer my questions with "yah." Your vocabulary and communication skills are beyond what is expected for 2 year olds. You speak in 3-4 phrase sentances, name things, and remember small details. You hold the gate open for me so I can bring brother up the steps, you love to help put dishes away, and you like to rummage through the refrigerator and cupboards for favorite snacks.
The biggest change is how your presence has affected me--the way my heart hurts when I know you are sad or in pain, how I get butterflies when I think you're hurt, or the way I can't help but smile when I see the way people respond to you. Everyone you meet stops to smile at you and within a few moments, they fall in love with you. Not that every moment is magical--tonight, in particular. You have certainly entered your terrible two's--you get frustrated when you don't get what you want. I silently giggle when you throw yourself on the floor with such dramatic flair and then peek to see if I'm watching. The screaming at the top of your lungs and your obsession with Daddy--not always so cute, but I love you anyway.
These first two years have change me more than you could know. I love to watch you learn and grow, I love watching you sleep--only a parent knows how special those moments are. I take such pride in the little boy that you are. I look forward to all the new things ahead of you and watching you continue to grow and develop into an amazing person.
We love you so much! Happy 2nd birthday, Bennett!
1 comment:
happy birthday bennett - welcome to the terrible 2's. be good to your mommy...
Post a Comment