Saturday, September 26, 2009

Brotherly Love

Since bringing home Landon, things have been interesting around our house. From the moment I walked in the door, I suddenly had this feeling of being torn. Which child do I pay attention to? How do I split my time with each one, without ignoring the other? How do I care for a demanding newborn without forgetting that just a few days prior, Bennett had my entire focus?
With my body still healing and the excitement of having ankle bones again, I have moments where I wonder--what in the world was I thinking!!! Although Bennett's tantrums have gone through the roof in the number, intensity, and loudness, he is amazingly sweet when he spends time with his brother. Here are a few examples.
The first night Landon was home, Bennett wanted to share his baseball with little brother.

One night when Landon was crying, Bennett tried to give him the pacifier.


When that didn't work and the crying continued, he tried a kiss instead!


The most wonderful display of brotherly love came on the first night we took Landon in to say good night to Bennett. As we were getting ready to say prayers, Bennett suddenly grabs brother's hands. At first, Ryan and I tried to tell him to be careful, and then we realized he was helping brother fold his hands to pray. After brother's hands were ready, Bennett folded his hands and kept them folded the entire prayer--a big smile on his face and his eyes on brother the entire time. Enough to simply melt your heart!!!


So, even though I know there will be many rough times ahead, these small moments keep me going. I know someday they will be best buddies and love each other immensely. For right now, we're still "adjusting"--that's the nice way to put it, right??? And I'll pretend that the othe night Bennett really was just trying to play with brother when he threw the nerf football and it bounced off Landon's little forehead!

No comments: