Saturday, November 8, 2008

Another Birthday--Come and Gone

My sister keep reminding to enjoy the fact that I am still in my twenties--not for much longer! This year, I did not turn 38 like some of my student predicted. Instead, I turned 29 so the big 30 is just 363 days away. Thursday was the official day. It started off great. One of my students and his little brother spent hours the night before making me birthday pictures and a book. It was so sweet I needed to share the story with you--

Your birthday . . . by a six year old
On Nov. 6 its your bithday!
You got up and ate breakfes.
Then pepele came over!
It was lunch time!
The food was good!
It was cake time!
Bennet ate a piece.
The cake was so good that . . .
It was present time!
You got good presents!
It was time to go. :-(
Bennet burped.
The end.

The kids were so excited and were all telling me happy birthday and giving me hugs. They were ecstatic to hear my name on the announcements! Then, we have been playing book fair bingo at school. Each morning they announce 5 book titles. 1st prize was $50 to spend at the book fair--my colleague across the hall won that. But we were playing for 2nd prize--$30. Wouldn't you know--we got bingo that morning so I ran to the phone to call the LMC. Sadly, someone had already won 2nd prize. We were pretty excited until we found that out! The day had gone very well, despite being sugared up on the brownies I shared with them. But after school, the day started to take a turn. I spoke with another teacher about one of my students--all I can say is that is may not be good. I never made it upstairs to grab some pizza before conferences started. Unfortunately, my first conference was late and all my 20 minute breaks disappeared. So, I never ate after my lunch, and by 6, my hands were starting to shake and my head was starting to pound. My last conference left around 8, and boy was I relieved that I didn't throw up during that last one--I was not feeling well at all! When I arrived home, not ready to celebrate at all, my sister in law and her boyfriend were there to drop off my gifts and birthday cheesecake--which we have been enjoying (but certainly not that night) . . .

My little boy was waiting up to give me his card. I did manage to read that, but didn't even have the strength to put him to bed. I curled up on the couch, felt like crud, and was barely able to talk to my big sis who had called to send along her birthday wishes. I went to bed and had to start the day over.

Friday night, Ryan and I got away to go have dinner. We went to a small Italian restaurant and it was quite a different experience. I decided I was in the mood to try something new--I settled on the osso bucco. It was a pork shank glazed in a tomato sauce surrounded by rice mixed with red peppers and pumpkin. Totally not something I would ever order, but it was very good! I enjoyed a wonderful glass of wine with it and had a great time alone with my husband. We ran a few errands before returning home to find our little boy wide awake! I finally got around to opening my gifts. Thanks to everyone for all the cards and gifts I received! I got everything on my list--

three new books--two by Nicholas Sparks and one by Janet Evanovich, which I have started already. I was in the mood for a good laugh! I got a gift certificate for my favorite spa, and I can't wait to set up a massage with Diana very soon!!!! I also got the Leona Lewis CD and a new gold chain. All in all, it was a great birthday, and it was fun that it last two days instead of one.

4 comments:

nurseheather said...

glad to hear you are feeling better -and let me say that posting that cheesecake picture is downright wrong. too bad your rotten old sister didn't send you a gift huh? enjoy your massage.. thanks for the photos

nurseheather said...

i forgot to mention that the card your student made for you is too stinkin cute - any suggestions on gifts for mattea's teachers for preschool? (random thought)

MerrandaVK said...

What a bummer of a birthday. but that birthday story was a hoot! I just love little kids' minds. Justin is at the most hilarious age.

Anonymous said...

Heather whenever you come back...if you come back...I promise I will make you a homemade cheesecake from scratch. you can even choose the flavor.