Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day Complete

The beginning of my school year got off to a rocky start. Last night, we took Bennett into the ER. He was running a high fever, was cranky, drooling, runny nose, not eating, etc. We gave him a lukewarm bath and his hands and feet turned blue and he was shaking. We packed him up and drove in at 8:00. After looking at the waiting room, we realized it would be a long night. So, I called my sister (thank goodness for a nurse in the family!) and she gave me some things to try at home. We ended up leaving the ER at 9:00 with the probability of not being seen until around 11:30. This morning, he woke up a complete bear--I've never heard him cry that much!! Ryan left school today to take him to the doctor and of course, it's a virus. Thankfully, his fever has broken and he seems more like himself, but it was definitely not the start to the school year I was hoping for. And we can't take him back to daycare yet, so not sure what the plan will be for tomorrow--as my wise sister said, "Welcome to being a working mother."
Anyway, first day was a breeze! I love looping because I got all my kids back from last year and the day went really smoothly. I have four new students, three of which are going to be such a joy. The other is . . . well . . . a bit challenging. I had one dad who was upset because things weren't as organized outside this morning (which was not my doing), I had one child crying uncontrollably and had to go to the office to calm down, and my challenging student from last year was in rare form--was peeking under bathroom stalls, then was caught by a teacher and continued to say he didn't do it, was name calling, and goofing. Welcome back! I am looking forward to all the new things I get to teach and I think I'm going to like what 1st grade has to offer--less prep and more independance on the part of the kids. Not that I'm counting but 1 down and 179 days to go :-)

2 comments:

nurseheather said...

hope bennett is feeling better - we're sure thinking of him. good luck with the next 179 days

MerrandaVK said...

So fun to read your first week. Oh my sounds like you have your hands full, there are always a few who are difficult, eh??

so sad to hear lil' Bennett get sick, its so hard when the babies are ill.. Hope he's doing better:)
Justin is back to normal, although I still have to shout at him for him to hear me.. it's really funny and then we end up laughing.