Saturday, May 9, 2009

An Unexpected Surprise




A ring at my doorbell earlier today was a complete surprise! A woman was standing on my doorstep holding this beautiful bouquet of flowers. Names started going through my head of who would be sending me flowers and of course, the obvious choice, was my husband as an early Mother's Day gift. But the card had a wonderful message and was signed by my sister, brother-in-law, and nieces! Completely out of the blue, unexpected, and greatly appreciated!! I've had a lot of time to think since my last post. My initial reaction to being the mother of another boy was upsetting and made me sad. But I look at the incredible gift I received in my first son and wonder, "How could I possibly be disappointed about another little boy?" As with my sister (it was not this way as kids), there is a special bond between siblings of the same sex. My sister was the first person I called, I cried on the phone about my disappointment, and then read her blog about her excitement over another nephew. I wish that same kind of relationship between Bennett and his brother-to-be. Am I still sad? Sure. Will I always feel a little twinge when I see cute baby girls? Of course. But nothing could possibly take away from the incredible feeling I have about being a mother at all! When we were trying so hard with Bennett, there were moments when I thought that I would never be a mom. How lucky am I to have one beautiful little boy and another close behind. Things may not have turned out according to MY plan, but apparently someone has a different agenda, and I'm okay with that. If my boys have the chance to be close like my sister and I, then I will be truly grateful!!! And as I'm finding out, the best surprises in life are the unexpected ones!

1 comment:

nurseheather said...

i'm glad you liked them. thought you needed a bit of cheering up. enjoy your mother's day!